Saturday 12 March 2016

So...does the V6 fit?

Have you ever run head first into something without proper research or planning? I have, that's how this whole rollercoaster began! Once finished I vowed to make sure any future project was properly thought through, researched and calculated. That would have probably led me to rewire the Zero, whack on a supercharger and fit a new fuel tank. That would have solved all my issues with the car since building. Power, wiring and leaking fuel. Easy right?

Well obviously the point has passed that I can return to that safe little plan and well trodden path. Engine sold, V6 purchased, adapter plates made, chassis cut. The perfect recipe for the point of no return. The only thing stopping me now is the engine not fitting......best go make sure....considering I never measured either engine or car and based all research on seeing one in an MK Indy and also a number of MX5s, I kinda just rolled with it, "Yeah it'll fit....I hope".


So, time to tick a few things off; Chassis ready to accept the engine, check. Engine and gearbox mated, check. Wondering if now its together if it'll actually fit, check. Tiny bit of suspense created for the blog, check?  So..place your bets!


So far so good....maybe...........................?






Bah! Absolutely does it fit! And looks very at home. It may not have engine mounts yet but its on the list. The main objective was to check it would fit and currently it does.





























Mounted in place only by the single gearbox mount, the positioning in the car appears to work well. The rear of the engine is only 12mm (adapter plate thickness) further forward than the 1.6 sat, however the front is a fair distance back into the chassis so should provide a greater weight distribution to the vehicle.






It's looking tight but it fits. That's the main thing. I can now happily resume with the build and begin sorting the engine mounts. The idea was to ideally re-use the ones for the MX5 engine, unfortunately this was not as straightforward as hoped. So they were chopped up, a new plate welded on and existing chassis mounts could be used. Easier than welding in new chassis pick ups! Thankfully the V6 had spare holes in the block to locate off. A nervous tapping session meant these could be used.

























As previously mentioned, my planning is pretty much ad-hoc. Ok so the engine will fit and mounts can be knocked up pretty easily. Where do I go next? Well, obviously sorting some brakes and fuel would be helpful. Electrics are still a mystery to me. I'm planning to make my own loom....I just have no idea where to start or what to do. Maybe I'll get those new brake lines in properly, electrics can wait for now...

No comments:

Post a Comment